look who did the writer's tag

5:03 AM


Today this post will be my first ever response to a tag!

So the great Jem Jones tagged me for this Writer's Tag. I freaked, completely ecstatic, and I thought why not? I really hope you guys enjoy reading my answers to these questions. It's about time you learn more about me as a writer, I'd say?

1. What genres, styles, and topics do you write about?


OH. My one true love is and always will be the supernatural / paranormal genre.

I do prefer to write full-length novels but I can whip up an essay or opinion article too! Haikus are generally cool too, as well as flash fiction! Please don't ask me to write short stories though. I would rather write a poem than a short story -- I can't ever get the pacing.

Topics? I have a thing for small towns and dysfunctional families. The character dynamics are always interesting. I also have a sincere love for ghosts, psychic abilities, and witches. (WITCHES. I go weak for any book that has them.)

2. How long have you been writing?

I've been writing seriously since 2015, so that's been around two years now. However, I have written short stories (honestly just a collection of flash fiction when I think about it!) since I was in first / second grade. 

3. Why do you write?

In a world with billions who excel in so many other hobbies and do great things with their lives, I've constantly -- actually, up to now I still do -- felt that I wasn't doing anything good enough. Like I'm just there. When I write, though, I feel like I have a purpose and a responsibility to create and share the loud thoughts in my head, so that's why I write. Without writing, I would go crazy with how boring my life would be.

4. When is the best time to write?

This is probably weird but I'm in the middle of the early birds and night owls. I write best and most in the afternoon!

5. What parts of writing do you love and hate?


I love plot outlining and first drafting! I hate those moments wherein your story isn't fully fleshed out yet (pre-outlining and pre-writing stage) and I have to work around it to see if it's worth writing or not.

6. How do you overcome writer's block?

I don't typically get writer's block because I plot ahead. Still, though, when I feel stuck and have no motivation to continue, I let myself rest for a day. Absolutely no touching the computer, and as much as possible, no thinking about the story I'm working on. When I come back, I'm craving to write again!

7. Are you working on something at the moment?

Yes! I'm writing a YA supernatural / paranormal which I'm pitching as the TV show The Returned / Les Revenants meets the book series The Diviners. It's got a foggy seaside town, witches, disappearing kids, cars named after Roman emperors, and a fraudulent town history.

8. What are your writing goals this year?

My main goal is to finish the first draft of the book I'm currently working on! I would also like to have a portfolio of book reviews for my own writing archive, as well as a portfolio of my opinion articles. ALSO. That writing archive I keep talking about? I'd like to have it in a binder. Physical evidence of me being a writer.

Here are three people I'd love to read answers from:

Madeline @ A Paper Reverie
Melissa @ Quill Pen Writer

(I'm not exactly sure if they have answered this tag but hey! I hope they do!)

But of course if you'd want to answer this tag, I'm 'tagging' you too!
Those were my answers to the questions of this tag. Do we have anything in common? DOES ANYONE WRITE IN THE AFTERNOONS TOO? What are you currently working on?


- Andrea <3

You Might Also Like

19 comments

  1. Your answers were great, good job! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gray! I really appreciate your comments <3

      - Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

      Delete
  2. O.O Your novels sound seriously awesome! I feel like I could write paranormal stuff, but... *shivers* ;)

    I USED to be an afternoon writer. Then life got crazy and I am now a hardcore(ish) morning writer. But I am definitely not a night-owl, despite the fact that most of my most amazing "what if?" questions come at that time xD

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU, Audrey! It's definitely been a huge struggle to write but I'm pushing through.

      Ahhh yes I'm wondering what will happen to my writing routine when school comes back?! My writing gets really bad at night so I think I'll revert to a morning writer like you :)

      - Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

      Delete
  3. You don't get writer's block?! I even plot and get writer's block sometimes. You rock. =D

    Great post!

    Micaiah
    www.notebooksandnovels.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *whispers* Also, you've been tagged! =)
      http://www.notebooksandnovels.com/2017/05/the-sunshine-blogger-tag.html

      Delete
    2. I don't technically HAVE 'writer's block'?! Most of the times I just have too many ideas and to choose one for the plot / story is my issue.

      *whispers back* Thank you for the tag, Micaiah! I'm so excited to answer it you don't even know <3

      - Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

      Delete
  4. I WRITE BEST IN THE AFTERNOON TOO! I thought I was the only one, so it's so awesome to know another writer who's not a night owl or morning bird! I refer to myself as an afternoon kookaburra. XD (Also, your books sounds super cool by the way!)
    Thanks for the tag! I haven't done this one yet, and will get to it as soon as I can. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES I HAVE FOUND SOMEONE JUST LIKE ME! <3 Afternoons are the greatest, and when I'm busy during those sacred hours and can't write, I get plain cranky.

      Thank you! My WIP is a HUGE struggle, but I am so pumped to finish the first draft, take a break, and start editing because I do want to see my story improve.

      I hope you do it, Melissa! I look forward to your answers :)

      - Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

      Delete
  5. Aww, I'm glad you liked the tag! And it was awesome learning more about you and your writing habits. Your answer to "Why do you write?" was so good - my answer was just about writing something for me to read, but writing to create a place for yourself in a world full of people with their own talents - that made me think. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this, Jem!!! I was so excited to have a tag on my blog for the very first time :)

      Oh, yeah. I've practiced my answer to that question a lot, especially since it comes up when people find out I'm a writer / in the creative writing classes I've taken. Your answer was just as great, though! We all have different responses!

      - Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

      Delete
  6. thanks for tagging me!!

    your novels sound completely awesome! i totally get you on your purpose for writing. i feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah you're welcome!

      And thank you <3 I suppose we all have different reasons but the same purpose!

      - Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

      Delete
  7. I write at any time of the day. Whenever I can squeeze it in. Preferably morning, but afternoons and evenings work as well. :) I enjoyed reading about your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Bethany!

      I do like squeezing my writing anytime but if my afternoons are clear, I write best during that period!

      - Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

      Delete
  8. OH. MY. GOSH. I just found your blog and omg I loooooooove iiiiiiiit. LIKE ALL THIS WRITING RELATED STUFF AND IT'S SO AMAZING I JUST CAN'T. *cries* I'm gonna go stalk all your old posts now. If you hear the faraway squealing that would be me.

    (PS Your novel sounds AMAZING.)

    May @ Forever and Everly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH MAY <3 I am so glad you found my blog and that you like it! Now I have to go check out yours, you amazing human!

      - Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

      Delete
  9. Great to read your answers and THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE TAG! Makes me feel loved. ;)

    I am definitely not an afternoon writer. I work best in the mornings for sure. Where do you find the time in the afternoon??

    If you like reading about witches you should check out my up-coming novel! ;) It's about a sorceress, not a witch persay, but close enough?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Emily!!!

      Well it's summer now so I do have free afternoons. Which is why I'm nervous about my schedule when school kicks in...

      AAAAAH A SORCERESS?! That sounds amazing!

      - Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

      Delete

Hey, amazing human being. Thank you so much for commenting! Be sure to check back for my reply <3