what? i wrote a book?

3:41 AM


Yes, everyone. You read that right. I finished writing a first draft a couple of weeks ago!

In celebration of doing so, I’m going to give you guys a little more info about this book that I’ve been talking about since the beginning of time Writer’s Tag last May.


Well, like I said in the Writer’s Tag, it is a YA supernatural / paranormal standalone. The book is called The Hallowed Walls, and to sum it up neatly it’s about a town called Petrichor suddenly rocked by a strange phenomenon: children who disappeared decades ago are suddenly reappearing, not aging a day and not remembering anything. There’s an undercurrent of witches, cars named after Roman emperors, psychic artworks, shattering teacups, wooden churches, and foggy cliffs.


It follows two main characters: Tavia King, whose genius of a brother Lukas disappeared six years ago, and since then she’s left the town, now a thrift store addict and a wrestling buff. However she comes back when the children start reappearing, and pairs up with Roman Kostka, who is your resident bowling professional slash observant wallflower.



And if you’re looking for a blurb… That remains top-secret because since I’ll be busy rewriting for the next couple of months, working on the book’s second draft, I’ll be doing lots of major changes! But the elements will definitely remain the same, and I will put up an update by the time I finish the second draft and the majority of the story is already fleshed out.


Now I’ve calculated correctly: I wrote the first draft in sixteen writing days but a total of twenty-one days! I took five days off because of life, but I ended up with 70,470 words!



See, my goal was to either sit down and produce a huge chunk of words, or avoid the computer the entire day. I don’t know if that’s counterproductive or a bad habit, but it worked for me. That’s all I’m saying.

Andrea’s Amazing Process to Writing 70,000 Words in Sixteen Days:

  1. Brainstorm a whole lot. Turn that sliver of an idea to an actual albeit messy story.
  2. Write a plot outline.
  3. Promptly forget about EVERYTHING in the plot outline and make things up, certain you’re still writing a story and not just creating vomit.
  4. Buy gel pens and decorate a writing binder whilst writing that terrible middle chunk to keep you motivated. Promise yourself you’re going to edit with majestic editing gear.
  5. Write, write, scream, watch a movie, get lost on the Internet, pull yourself out, and write.
  6. Finish the book and print it and now stare: you’re going to be rewriting that horrendous mess in the next months.
You’ll witness me whine and cry about rewriting for the months to come. But for now I’ve got my printed first draft secured in a binder, said gel pens and sticky notes in hand, and I’m ready to get roll up my writer sleeves and get back to work.



I hope to finish the second draft by December this year, which is a big hope, with school killing me. But I’ll get there!

So I guess it’s the tradition of every writer to give snippets? Or at least from the blogs that I read from. Here we go:


Snippet #1!

Well... Some backstory!

Roman is my child let's face it.

I just had to try sass for a bit.

I don't know... I just liked writing this?

Yes, of course.

AHHHHH.

I guess that's all I have for now! What are you guys currently working on? Any new updates on your WIPs? Do you like first drafting fast or slow?

- Andrea <3

You Might Also Like

24 comments

  1. Congrats on finishing the first draft!!! That's so awesome! XD I wish I could write drafts that quickly, but most first drafts take me between three and four months. I'm okay with that though; every writer has their own process! All your snippets are so great, and I look forward to hearing more about your story in the future! <3

    Sincerely, Melissa
    melissagravitis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melissa! I did progress really slowly at first when writing my first drafts, which provided me less pressure and more time to think. I feel fast drafting works for me, though, but if a person's happy with their process.. then, why not, right?

      Ooh, yes! I will definitely update my second drafting woes in the blog.

      - andrea at a surge of thunder

      Delete
  2. YAY! I'm so happy for you!! Your story sounds awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Gray! I'd love to hear about your stories, too :)

      - andrea at a surge of thunder

      Delete
  3. AGH I LOVE THIS! Your novel sounds awesome and the snippets were SO FREAKIN' AMAZING, and I'm so glad that you finished your first draft!!! *dances* YAS for printing and editing on paper -- I don't get how people edit on the computer??? I'm currently struggling with my #writerslife because I'm editing a novel for a writing contest, planning another one to outline for July Camp NaNo, and I also got TWO PLOT BUNNIES NIPPING AT MY FEET FOR MY ATTENTION and I'm just like no. Stop. Go away. I CAN'T WRITE YOU YET.

    Congrats again!!!

    may @ forever and everly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH, MAY.

      I completely agree! I'm a huge advocate for editing on paper, plus it looks great, seeing psychical evidence of your hard work :) Good luck with your projects! I'm sure you'll do great with the contest AND Camp NaNo -- I would love to join sometime!

      (And I feel you. PLOT BUNNIES. I am currently being hounded by one and it is killing me.)

      - andrea at a surge of thunder

      Delete
  4. Ahhh, congrats on finishing! Roman looks so precious, ahhhhh. I'm very close to finishing the first draft of one of my WIPs, a steampunk pirate novel called Karissa Goldlock's Guide to (Almost) Utterly Everything.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellie! (Yes I have a soft spot for my child Roman.)

      Your title is freaking amazing. I'd love to hear about Karissa Goldlock! Good luck with your writing <3

      - andrea at a surge of thunder

      Delete
  5. AHHH you're novel sounds so AMAZING. congrats on finishing it! i love those snippets so much!! i'm going to try to finish plotting /aesthetic-ing my magical realism novel by the end of the next couple weeks, and then i might try to draft most of it before i go on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Madeline!

      AHHHH I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE AESTHETICS! I know you really like magical realism and I'm pretty sure your love for it will equal a great book. :)

      - andrea at a surge of thunder

      Delete
  6. EEEPPP CONGRATULATIONS ON THAT. That is SO awesome! And the snippets... *shivers* ;)

    I actually just--as of an hour ago--finished writing the 4th draft of my novel! I did a major outline for it, but it took about 23 days. I do love to write first drafts quickly xD

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AAAH THANKS, AUDREY! I'm still kind of not over writing it.

      And a HUGE congratulations! I've never gone beyond a first draft, and for you to finish a fourth? It's a huge motivation to me! Yes, first drafting as fast as possible is a technique I want to continue.

      - andrea at a surge of thunder

      Delete
  7. That is SO EXCITING!! Congratulations, Andrea! I absolute LOVE the name Petrichor for a town and your book sounds so so interesting. Good luck on your second draft (they are killer) but finishing your first draft is such an amazing feeling. Is it your first time?

    I am definitely a slow, slow writer myself. There are some people in this blogging community who write ridiculously fast and it kills me like, HOW??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emily! I was actually just scrolling through words and Petrichor just... clicked, and I've been using it ever since :)

      I've finished two first drafts of novels, and three first drafts of novellas! But I have never second drafted, actually. It's a terrifying new ground.

      Slow writing does have its perks! I would love to write really fast but pushing myself beyond 5k-7k a day is too much for me. I am actually having a current writing burn-out, but shhhhh.

      - andrea at a surge of thunder

      Delete
  8. *shrieks* OH MY WORD ANDREA THAT'S SO EXCITING!!! AND THOSE SNIPPETS. Ack. I'm dyyying to know more. *flails* Tell me moooorreeee. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU, JANE! I do plan on posting more about my book, especially with the rewriting / editing process lurking over me...

      - andrea at a surge of thunder

      Delete
  9. Congrats! I just started following, so I know you don't know me, but I hope to be passing through here every now and then!

    But finishing a draft is always a reason to celebrate! *throws confetti* Your book sounds pretty interesting. The editing process is scary, but once you get a method going, it's not that bad. Though, as I'm a fast first drafter, there's always a lot that needs to be taken out/added in/wrapped up. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thank you so much for checking the blog out, Julian! I'm happy to have you here <3

      Thank you for the encouragement! And YES. I'm reading through my first draft now and just utterly confused because it is the messiest thing in the world.

      - andrea at a surge of thunder

      Delete
  10. I'm so happy that you finished your first novel! Gel pens help cause quiet a distraction, don't they? I've been doing the same thing to distract me while editing but the colors have gotten so incredibly mixed up from what they originally meant that I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to decipher half of it. Poor Roman! I ALSO LIVE FOR THE SASS THOUGH I LOVE IT. If you ever need a beta reader, let me know!

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!

      It actually feels weirdly productive?! Like chaos on a page being caused by gel pens makes me feel like I'm actually deep into editing!

      I'm really considering beta readers! Once I have my second draft and maybe a line edit done, then I'd really want some. I will update you, totally.

      - andrea at a surge of thunder

      Delete
  11. Ah, I'm so late catching up with all the posts, but congratulations on finishing your novel!! I wish you all the luck in the world for your second draft, I really do... ;) And editing on paper just seems like such a sensible way to do it, too?? (until recently, I couldn't write on the computer at all, so I'm really big on paper!)

    Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jem! I think I'll need all the luck I can get, haha. The mess of a first draft I have in my hands is scary and huge.

      I KNOW! I used to do copywriting in grade school so it's been a thing for me to edit on paper.

      - andrea at a surge of thunder

      Delete
  12. CONGRATULATIONS THAT IS AWESOME!! *tosses confetti and gives you lots of chocolate chip waffles* BEST FEELING EVER OMG. Also that's SO AMAZING that you wrote an entire first draft in 21 days!! SO PROUD OF YOU!!

    And these aesthetics. FSDKJSAKDLJALSDJSKM THESE AESTHETICS.
    THEY ARE PERFECT.

    Please alert me ASAP when I can read this book because <333333333 NEEDS

    rock on,
    abbiee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you loads, Abbiee! I had a great time trying to capture the vibe of the story through the aesthetics, really glad you like it.

      YES. I PLAN TO HAVE BETA READERS NEXT YEAR? IF I FINISH REWRITING IN TIME?!

      - andrea at a surge of thunder

      Delete

Hey, amazing human being. Thank you so much for commenting! Be sure to check back for my reply <3